Scientific Committee (SciCom)
The Scientific Committee advises the Board of Directors on all scientific and research support activities undertaken by the VLIZ and supports the VLIZ in the formulation of qualitative and scientifically founded advice.
The composition of the Scientific Committee reflects the interuniversity and interdisciplinary character of the VLIZ. Attention is also paid to good cooperation with the Flemish administrations and the federal government in this respect.
Below you will find the current composition of the Scientific Committee. This list is not exhaustive: representatives of other institutes and underrepresented research disciplines can be admitted to the Scientific Committee at the request of the Board of Directors. If a specific problem arises, experts from Belgium or abroad may be invited to attend one or several meetings.
Members of the Scientific Committee:
- Flanders Marine Institute:
- Colin Janssen, chairman, vice chairman of the Board of Directors
- Jan Mees, director
- Jan Seys, reporter (replacement: Nancy Fockedey)
- Jean Berlamont, Catholic University of Leuven, Board member
- Jean Lanckneus, Marine Geology consultant, Board member
- Magda Vincx, Ghent University, Board member (replacements: Ann Vanreusel)
- Flemish universities and scientific institutions:
- Flemish government
- One delegate from the Hydraulic Laboratory Division of the Waterways and Maritime Affairs Administration (AWZ)
- One delegate from the
Coastal Division of the Waterways and Maritime Affairs Administration (MD&K)
- Guido Dumon (replacement: Nathalie Balcaen)
- One delegate from the Economy, Science and Innovation Administration EWI
- One delegate from the Environment, Nature and Energy Department
- Ruth Declerck (International Environmental Policy) (replacement: Els Martens - Nature and Forest Agency/Central services)
- Federal government