Data Centre division
The VLIZ Data Centre provides assistance, technologies and tools to scientists and policymakers to support marine data management. Within international networks VLIZ participates in the development of data infrastructures and promotes the flow of marine data from Belgium.
The VLIZ Data Centre aims to be a service data centre making data and information of reliable quality accessible to a wide range of marine sciences in an efficient and open manner.
- General data management to support Flemish marine research so as to preserve the knowledge, interpretation and usability of data over time. This includes:
- documentation: describing data sets and providing them with the required metadata;
- standardisation: creating structured data provided with standards;
- integration: collecting scattered data in dedicated and recognised data systems;
- archiving: preserving digital data for the next generations;
- redistribution: stimulating the use of data and facilitating data exchange.
- The development of data systems and technologies to support marine research.
- The creation of derivative products providing added value for marine research groups and policy.
- Participation in national and international networks to facilitate data exchange and to increase the visibility of Flemish marine sciences.
- Targeted support of specific research groups within the scope of a cooperation agreement.
- Participation in projects, mostly in order to develop and maintain in-house databases and websites.
- The collection of on-site measurement data and samples on behalf of the marine research community. [link to monitoring ikv LifeWatch]
- The management of international e-infrastructures: LifeWatch, the central portal for the European Marine Observation and Data network (EMODnet), World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS), Global Sea Level Observing System (GLOSS), Ocean Biodiversity Information System (EurOBIS), Marine Regions.
Contact: Francisco (Tjess) Hernandez