|More:|| Participants | URL |
Period: 2007-09-16 - 2007-09-22
Location: Resort town Svetlogorsk, Kaliningrad Region, Russia
|| Top | URL |
- Estuarine & Coastal Science Association (ECSA), more, organiser
- Russian Academy of Sciences; Russian Hydrobiological Society (RHAS), more, organiser
- Atlantic Research Institute of Marine Fisheries and Oceanography (AtlantNIRO), more, organiser
- Kaliningrad State Technical University (KSTU), more, organiser
- The Atlantic Branch of the P.P. Shirshov Institute of Oceanology (AB SIO RAS), more, organiser
- Immanuel Kant State University of Russia, more, organiser
The symposium will encourage the scientific discussion of estuarine ecosystem structure and function, management, water pollution and eutrophication, ecosystem health, the status and use of biological resources in estuaries, and other related topics. (Note that the term estuaries is used here as a synonym for all transitional environments.)
The links between science and policy in estuarine and coastal environments will be emphasized at the symposium which is aimed at encouraging the scientific community to increase cooperation, participate in societal dialogue, efficiently communicate science to decision-makers and to the public, as well as identify better governance and management practices in estuarine ecosystems.
It is of particular note that the long history of collaboration, the high quality and amount of scientific information and the presence of economically stable societies has resulted in the Baltic Sea region having a high potential as a pilot area for carrying out research, delivering efficient protection and restoring marine and estuarine environments in a holistic manner, while simultaneously safeguarding the continuation of economic activities (Statement of the conference ‘Baltic Sea and European Marine Strategy – Linking Science and Policy', November 13-15, 2006, Helsinki, Finland).
The symposium will be held under the patronage of Government of Kaliningrad Region.