|More:|| Participants | URL |
Period: 2007-10-01 - 2007-10-19
|| Top | URL |
- University of Porto; Centre for Marine and Environmental Research (CIMAR), more, organiser
- Natural Environment Research Council; Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (CEH), more, organiser
- European Platform for Biodiversity Research Strategy (EPBRS), more, organiser
- Marine Biodiversity and Ecosystem Functioning (MarBEF), more, organiser
- Europese Unie (EU), more, organiser
To address these aims, the E-conference preceding the Portuguese EPBRS meeting will focus on the three following issues:
- Session I: Interactions between global change and marine biodiversity: what is already known and what we urgently need to know to allow for a more efficient protection of marine biodiversity and of the sustainable use of the marine environment.
- Session II: Effects of the different measures of mitigation and adaptation to climate change (e.g. coastal defences, renewable energies, algal biofuels, CO2 storage in the ocean) on marine biodiversity and the role of marine and coastal ecosystems in the mitigation of climate change effects.
- Session III : Stopping marine biodiversity loss - key scientific issues in the design, management and policy development related to MPAs; integration of biodiversity concerns in the different marine sectors; and reaching a good environmental status in the marine environment.
The first 2 sessions will be chaired by Stephen Hawkins and his colleagues Pippa Moore and Nova Mieszkowska (Marine Biological Association), while the third session will be chaired by Ricardo Serrão Santos and his colleagues Telmo Morato, Ruth Higgins and Fréderic Vandeperre (University of the Azores).