IMIS | Flanders Marine Institute
 

Flanders Marine Institute

Platform for marine research

IMIS

Publications | Institutes | Persons | Datasets | Projects | Maps
[ report an error in this record ] Printer-friendly version

Demersal Trawl Survey of the Beaufort Sea 2008
Citation
Rand and Logerwell. 2010. The first demersal trawl survey of benthic fish and invertebrates in the Beaufort Sea since the late 1970s. Polar Biology: DOI 10.1007/s00300-010-0900-2

Access data
Availability: Restricted
The data are withheld from general circulation and disclosure but access may be obtained on a case-by-case basis through negotiation

Notes:

The findings and conclusions in the data and metadata are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the views of the National Marine Fisheries Service, NOAA. Prior to use of these records in any analysis or report, NOAA must be notified and if used the provenance of the original data must be acknowledged. Recognize the limitations of data in OBIS-USA.


Description
The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement (BOEMRE) funded a pilot survey in 2008 of the offshore marine fishes of the Beaufort Sea. Demersal fish and benthic invertebrates were assessed using standardized bottom trawl gear and methods.This pilot survey provided recommendations for future monitoring methods in addition to baseline data against which to compare future anthropogenic and climate impacts. more

The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement (BOEMRE, formerly Minerals Management Service, MMS), Anchorage, Alaska OCS Region funded a pilot survey in 2008 of the offshore marine fishes of the Beaufort Sea. This was the first offshore marine fish survey to have taken place since an opportunistic survey in 1977 (Frost and Lowry 1983). This pilot survey provided recommendations for future monitoring methods in addition to baseline data against which to compare future anthropogenic and climate impacts. Demersal fish and benthic invertebrates were assessed using standardized bottom trawl gear and methods. Demersal fish made up 6% of the demersal trawl catch by weight, and invertebrates made up the remaining 94% of the catch. A total of 32 fish were identified to species, two were identified to genus and 1 to family, and 174 taxa of invertebrates were identified.

Scope
Themes:
Biology > Fish, Biology > Invertebrates
Keywords:
Marine

Contributor
The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement (BOEMRE), moresponsor

Related datasets
Published in:
OBIS-USA: US Ocean Biogeographic Informaton System, more

Publication
Based on this dataset:
Rand, K.M.; Logerwell, E.A. (2011). The first demersal trawl survey of benthic fish and invertebrates in the Beaufort Sea since the late 1970s. Polar Biol. 34(4): 475-488. hdl.handle.net/10.1007/s00300-010-0900-2, more

Dataset status: Completed
Data type: Data
Data origin: Research: field survey
Metadatarecord created: 2012-12-12
Information last updated: 2012-12-12
All data in IMIS is subject to the VLIZ privacy policy