96, montee Sandy Beach
Gaspé, QC G4X 2V6
|Merinov, Quebec’s aquaculture and fisheries innovation Centre, is an organization that provides innovative services to the whole of Quebec’s fisheries and aquaculture industry. Formed by the merger of the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food research centres, a Cégep de la Gaspésie et des Îles research centre and the Université du Québec à Rimouski research teams, it brings together most of the experts dedicated to innovation in Quebec’s fisheries and aquaculture industry.
The Centre carries out applied research, experimental development and technology transfer activities to generate new knowledge and technologies that benefit the aquatic biomass production and conversion industry. It provides technical assistance to companies across Quebec and is involved in the monitoring and dissemination of strategic information.
Merinov boasts four coastal research centres equipped with basin rooms, pilot plants and multipurpose equipment laboratories. Merinov has boats and measurement equipment for sea and lagoon operations.
Merinov has nearly 90 employees known for their multidisciplinary skills, their know-how and the quality of their work in the development of innovative solutions. They work with several organizations from the fisheries and aquaculture industry and with universities in Quebec and abroad.
Merinov's areas of work include:
- Development of food products from aquatic biomass, and supporting processes
- Improving plant productivity and efficiency with a focus on sustainability
- Quality and preservation of marine products
- Development of co-products (from byproducts of processing)
- Applied research in marine bioactivies (e.g., biomass fractionation, characterization of marine components, assessment of functional ingredients for health)
Merinov's technical and support staff provide a large range of services and applied technologies to industry and partners, including:
- Research leading to commercialization
- Optimization and establishment of new processes
- Support for industrial scale-up
- Technical trouble-shooting
- Loan and assessment of equipment
- Further development of novel species
- General technical and processing information
- Analytical laboratory services
- Sensory analysis and consumer test panels