|| Institutes |
Reference no: EVK3-1999-00016
Period: 1999 till 2000
Thesaurus terms: Geomorphology; Hydrocarbons; Offshore; Physical oceanography
Geographical term: Belgium [Marine Regions]
|| Top |
- Universiteit Gent; Faculteit Wetenschappen; Vakgroep Geologie; Renard Centre of Marine Geology (RCMG), more
- European Commission; Fifth Framework Programme, more, sponsor
1. Produce a systematic inventory and data set of recorded giant mound occurrences in the selected basins (from industrial data and surveys by the project team), documenting morphologies, structural associations, patterns and temporal relationships which might identify the underlying geological control point on the genesis of mounds and on their sustained or episodic growth.
2. In the light of available data, critically evaluate relevant hypotheses and test the diagnostic value of such mounds as potential indicators for hydrocarbons and for fluid expulsion events, delivering a genuine experimental validation scheme.
3. Develop a model for the fluid migration paths and processes which might have fuelled surface vents in the considered mound provinces, and elucidate their chronology.
4. Prepare and define the terms of reference for a conclusive Ocean Drilling action.
Spatial Information Grid
Both basinal areas will be bridged by one large and coherent spatial information grid, where the nodes will be :
1. Significant mound occurrences and major surface expressions of fluid flow.
2. Well control points, which will help to address the whole migration catena.
The nodes will be connected by high-resolution seismic tie-lines for 3D correlation.
Ground-truthing will be carried out through shallow coring within the project and by :
1. Industrial partnership: through agreements, access to available hydrocarbon industry data, both seismic and well data
2. Partnership with the IGBP IMAGES programme through a subcontract with IFRTP : at least 4 long cores will be taken in a few mounds and their immediate sedimentary environment, to reach depths until now beyond the reach of shallow sampling.
3. A European ODP drilling leg proposal (pre- or post-2003), to yield access to the base level of pilot mounds, key towards their origin and sustained growth. A concept study for a CORKED legacy hole in an area of recent flow (mud volcano), instrumented with various sensors for real-time monitoring of physical and environmental parameters, will be considered.