|Dioxin study Westerschelde|
|| Institutes | Publication | Dataset |
Dutch title: Dioxineonderzoek Westerschelde
Period: 2005 till 2007
Thesaurus terms: Dioxins; Dioxins; PCB; Pollution; Toxicology
Geographical term: ANE, Netherlands, Westerschelde [Marine Regions]
|| Top | Publication | Dataset |
- Ministerie van Infrastructuur en Milieu; Rijkswaterstaat; Dienst Zeeland (DZL), more, proposer
- Provincie Zeeland, more, proposer
- Ministerie van Landbouw, Natuur en Voedselkwaliteit (LNV), more, proposer
- Wageningen University and Research Centre; Institute for Marine Resources and Ecosystem Studies (IMARES), more, executant
- Rijksinstituut voor Kust en Zee (RIKZ), more, executant
|In 2005 the Provincial Executive of the Province of Zeeland, the Netherlands, received a question about the current status of dioxin pollution in the Western Scheldt environment. At the time little was known about the occurrence of dioxins in this estuary. Therefore, a baseline study was conducted in 2005 to obtain the required information. Samples of several fishery products, food chains and sediments were taken from de Western Scheldt. The observed dioxin concentrations were compared to known (inter)national standards in order to assess the dioxin status. At the same time concentrations of other possible pollutants were determined and assessed.
Findings of the study conclude that no current standards for dioxins were exceeded in fishery products. Furthermore there is, based on this study, no reason to believe that the Western Scheldt estuary is more polluted with dioxins than other coastal areas in the Netherlands. It was recommended to resample a selection of fishery products in 2006 and compare the results to a new European standard for dioxin and dioxin-like compounds in fishery products (coming into force November 4, 2006). Besides it was advised to conduct a risk assessment for the consumption of non-cultured eel from all reasonably polluted areas within the Netherlands.
|| Top | Institutes | Dataset |
- Van den Heuvel-Greve, M.; Leonards, P.E.; Vethaak, D. (2006). Dioxineonderzoek Westerschelde: meting van gehalten aan dioxinen, dioxineachtige stoffen en andere mogelijke probleemstoffen in visserijproducten, sediment en voedselketens van de Westerschelde. Rapport RIKZ = Report RIKZ, 2006.011. RIKZ: Middelburg. 80 pp., more