|| Institute |
Reference no: MAS3-CT98-00178
Period: February 1999 till January 2002
Thesaurus terms: Biocides; Coastal environment; Fouling
|| Top |
- University of Ioannina; Laboratory of Environmental Technology and Pollution Control, more, partner
|This project will redress this situation and through multidisciplinary research will provide:
- Information on usage and geographical differences in usage of antifouling agents and products in Europe.
- Suitably sensitive analytical (chemical) techniques for quantifying antifouling ""booster"" biocides.
- An assessment of the extent of contamination of European harbours and marinas and coastal waters through chemical surveys.
- Information concerning the dissipation, transport and ecotoxicological effects of ""booster"" biocides (through experimentation under laboratory and field conditions).
- Models which predict environmental concentration and impact.
- A critical comparison of products regarding environmental impact.
Results will provide essential information upon which National and International Authorities and the Commission can consider and provide well-founded advice (and hence management options) on the topic of antifouling agents.