|| Institutes |
Period: 2006 till 2011
|| Top |
- National Natural History Museum Paris (MNHN), more, co-ordinator
- Koninklijk Belgisch Instituut voor Natuurwetenschappen (IRScNB/KBIN), more, partner
- Koninklijk Museum voor Midden Afrika (KMMA), more, partner
|The overall objective of EDIT is to integrate European taxonomic effort within the ERA and to build a world leading capacity. EDIT will create a European virtual centre of excellence, which will increase both the scientific basis and capacity for biodiversity conservation.
This will provide better access to a more unified and better quality taxonomic research information base.
The operational and structural objectives of EDIT are:
- To reduce fragmentation and to transform taxonomy into an integrated science.
- To strengthen the scientific, technological and information capacities needed for Europe to understand how biodiversity is modified through Global change.
- To progress toward a transnational entity by encouraging durable integration of the most important European taxonomic institutions, forming the nucleus of excellence around and from which institutions and taxonomists can integrate their activities.
- To promote the undertaking of collaborative research developing, improving and utilising the bio-informatics technologies needed.
- To create a forum for stakeholders and end-users for taxonomy in biodiversity and ecosystem research.
- To promote the spreading of excellence to fulfil the needs of biodiversity and ecosystem research for taxonomy based information.