|Creating a European platform for SMEs and other stakeholders to develop a research programme for probiodiversity business|
|| Institutes |
Period: October 2005 till August 2007
|| Top |
- European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD), more, partner
- European Bureau for Conservation and Development (EBCD), more, partner
Focussing on the use of biodiversity by Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs), the project will propose a research agenda addressing the business instrument of the EU's Strategy for Sustainable Development, in particular the commitment to protect and restore habitats and natural systems and halt the loss of biodiversity by 2010.
- To identify the specific business opportunities and constraints for sustainable use of terrestrial, freshwater and marine biodiversity by SMEs especially in ecologically sensitive areas
- To propose a research programme on opportunities and constraints for sustainable use of biodiversity by SMEs through a platform of practitioners and researchers
Workshops and case studies will be the main instruments for achieving the objectives. Coverage of the enlarged EU in terms of business patterns and major ecosystems will be as comprehensive as possible. Experience from other parts of the world will be drawn in. Particular efforts will be made to ensure that SMEs are fully engaged and a programme for dissemination and communication will bring the results to the attention of targeted audiences.
- Clear indications of the potential for SMEs to contribute to the EU Strategy for Sustainable Development through their commercial activities.
- Demonstration of the practical application of knowledge to better integrate the EU enterprise strategy and the EU strategy for sustainable development.
- Awareness raised amongst the applied research community about the potential contribution of SMEs to conservation in the EU, and key research needs identified