|| Institutes |
Period: January 2009 till March 2010
|| Top |
- Koninklijk Belgisch Instituut voor Natuurwetenschappen (IRScNB/KBIN), more, partner
- European Commission Joint Research Center (JRC), more
- European Commission; Seventh Framework Programme, more, sponsor
|MyOcean is THE PROJECT to set up infrastructures, services and resources to prepare the operational deployment of first Marine Core Services. My Ocean answers to the topic SPA.2007.1.1.01 - development of upgraded capabilities for existing GMES fast-track services and related (pre)operational services. MyOcean is proposed by a consortium of 67 partners spread in maritime countries:
- federated around a core team of MCS operators
- connected to Key R&D players with independent experts
- rich of key intermediate users ready to commit to the service validation and promotion and play the role of beta-testers.
My Ocean is not the MCS but shall provide the major building blocks and umbrella to allow the operational deployment of a full MCS in cooperation with external providers (National Met services, EMSA). MyOcean proposes to set an incremental logic and a governance to remain sustainable after the project and able to welcome new science and new services.
The project includes the following tasks:
- The definition of a first set of operational Marine Core Services, first package of an enlarged MCS portfolio
- The operational development of European upgraded capacities acting as a common denominator for Member States, EU needs for reference marine information
- The pre-operational validation of these MCS infrastructures and services and their formal commissioning
- The marketing and promotion of Marine Core Services for use widening
- The elaboration of a committed organisation to support at long term MCS operations, evolution and research.
My Ocean inherits, benefits and pursues a European operational oceanography strategy started within EUROGOOS networks, and progressively implemented through subsequent projects: MERSEA Strand1, MERSEA, BOSS4. BOSS4 will provide a Version 0 of Marine Core Services fast tracks. MyOcean work plan shall cover the development, validation and pre-operations of the following versions of MCS V1 and V2.