IMIS | Flanders Marine Institute
 

Flanders Marine Institute

Platform for marine research

IMIS

Publications | Institutes | Persons | Datasets | Projects | Maps
[ report an error in this record ]basket (0): add | show Printer-friendly version

Effects of four stocking densities and three diets on growth and survival of postlarval Macrobrachium rosenbergii and M. acanthurus
Willis, S.A.; Hagood, R.W.; Eliason, G.T. (1976). Effects of four stocking densities and three diets on growth and survival of postlarval Macrobrachium rosenbergii and M. acanthurus, in: Ayles, G.B. et al. (Ed.) Proceedings of the Seventh Annual Meeting of the World Mariculture Society held at San Diego, California, January 25-29, 1976. pp. 655-665
In: Ayles, G.B.; Brett, J.R. (Ed.) (1976). Proceedings of the Seventh Annual Meeting of the World Mariculture Society held at San Diego, California, January 25-29, 1976. [S.n.]: [s.l.]. , more

Available in Authors 

Keywords
    Culture tanks; Diets; Growth; Stocking density; Macrobrachium acanthurus (Wiegmann, 1836) [WoRMS]; Macrobrachium rosenbergii (de Man, 1879) [WoRMS]; Marine

Authors  Top 
  • Willis, S.A.
  • Hagood, R.W.
  • Eliason, G.T.

Abstract
    Effects of stocking density and three diets on growth and survival of 1 week post-metamorphic Macrobrachium rosenbergii and M. acanthurus were studied. Experiments were conducted on shrimp held for 2 months in laboratory tanks under a controlled temperature, light, and feeding regime. Initial stocking densities were 215, 430, 645, and 860 shrimp/m2 tank bottom. Shrimp were fed Purina 20% protein marine ration at 5% body weight daily. Habitat was gravel bottom. survival was highest at 215 shrimp/m2 , but overall growth was best at 430 shrimp/m2 . M. acanthurus survival and growth were very erratic. Two commercially available diets (Purina 25% marine ration, and Purina No. 1 trout chow) and a 'natural' diet composed of chopped fish, shrimp, earthworm, rice, and mung beans were selected for dietary studies. Shrimp were stocked at 107 . 5 shrimp/m2 tank bottom. A three-tiered habitat was added to reduce aggression and food competition. Shrimp were fed at 20% body weight daily for the first six weeks and 12% daily for the final two weeks. Trout chow produced the most rapid growth; maximum average increase in M. rosenbergii was from 0 . 03 g initially to 1 . 20 g after 2 months.

All data in IMIS is subject to the VLIZ privacy policy Top | Authors