|Iron resources and oceanic nutrients: advancement of global environment simulations|
Veldhuis, M.; de Baar, H.J.W. (2005). Iron resources and oceanic nutrients: advancement of global environment simulations, in: Veldhuis, M.J.W. (Ed.) Iron resources and oceanic nutrients: advancement of global environmental simulations. Journal of Sea Research, 53(1-2): pp. 1-6
In: Veldhuis, M.J.W. (Ed.) (2005). Iron resources and oceanic nutrients: advancement of global environmental simulations. Journal of Sea Research, 53(1-2). Elsevier: Amsterdam. 120 pp., more
In: Journal of Sea Research. Elsevier/Netherlands Institute for Sea Research: Amsterdam; Den Burg. ISSN 1385-1101, more
|Also published as |
Iron compounds; Nutrients (mineral); Simulation; Marine
|Authors|| || Top |
- Veldhuis, M.
- de Baar, H.J.W.
Iron limits phytoplankton growth in more than 40 percent of the oceans and is a colimitation in the remaining 60 percent of surface waters. Moreover the paradigm of a single limiting factor for plankton blooms has given way to the concept of colimitation by light, and the nutrient elements N, Fe, P and Si. Primary production, export into the deep sea, and CO2 uptake from the atmosphere together form the biological pump in Ocean Biogeochemical Climate Models (OBCM’s). The IRONAGES project is a consortium of 12 European institutes developing more realistic OBCM’s for budgeting and exchanges of both and CO2 and DMS, by implementing the following improvements: (i) co-limitation by four nutrients N, Fe, P, Si simultaneously; (ii) five major bloom-forming taxonomic groups, the diatoms, calcifiers, N2-fixers, Phaeocystis sp. and nano-pico-plankton; (iii) DMS(P) pathways; (iv) integrated plankton ecosystem modeling; (v) realistic global oceanic iron cycling, on basis of: (vi) iron supply from below reducing sediments; (vii) iron supply from above aeolian dust input; (viii) several chemical forms of iron in surface waters; (ix) certification of iron data in the oceans.