IMIS | Flanders Marine Institute
 

Flanders Marine Institute

Platform for marine research

IMIS

Publications | Institutes | Persons | Datasets | Projects | Maps
[ report an error in this record ]basket (0): add | show Printer-friendly version

Investigation of factors influencing mortality in Mytilus edulis L.
Worrall, C.M.; Widdows, J. (1984). Investigation of factors influencing mortality in Mytilus edulis L. Mar. biol. lett. 5(2): 85-97
In: Marine Biology Letters. Elsevier/North-Holland Biomedical Press: Amsterdam. ISSN 0165-859X, more
Peer reviewed article  

Available in Authors 

Keywords
    Mortality; Mortality causes; Spawning; Mytilus edulis Linnaeus, 1758 [WoRMS]; Marine

Authors  Top 
  • Worrall, C.M.
  • Widdows, J., more

Abstract
    The mortality of M. Edulis at the River Lynher, Plymouth, England, was related to the reproductive cycle and spawning activity. High non-predatory mortality in the spring was correlated with spawning but there was no correlation with temperature and there did not appear to be relationship with seasonal fluctuation in food supply. Highest mortalities were in the medium to large size classes which have the highest reproductive effort. Predators of the mussedl bed consisted of the shore crab (Carcinus maenas) and the oystercatcher (Haematopus ostralegus). They accounted for approximately 28% of the observed annual mortality, the remaining 72% being due to non-predatory factors.

All data in IMIS is subject to the VLIZ privacy policy Top | Authors