VLIZ is an autonomous institute with the legal status of a non-profit organisation under Belgian law and has five strategic objectives.
The five strategic objectives of VLIZ are:
- Initiate, support, promote and implement innovative and multidisciplinary marine research for the benefit of, in collaboration with or to Flemish and international marine research groups.
- Promote the national and international image of Flemish marine research.
- Serve as a national and international point of contact in the field of marine research.
- Promote ocean literacy in Flanders and marine research visibility among the general public.
- Provide tailored scientific data, information, knowledge and insights to the Flemish marine research community, the blue economy and policymakers with regard to marine matters.