VLIZ provides the opportunity to do an internship or write a thesis on a coastal and marine scientific subject within the scope of training. Student employees are also encouraged to participate in VLIZ for a month.
Within the scope of training, students can work in a stimulating setting of coastal and marine sciences. VLIZ gladly gives guidance to students who want to write a thesis or do an internship at VLIZ. Every summer VLIZ also offers student employees the opportunity to take part, for a month or longer, in its activities:
- the provision of logistical support to marine researchers;
- the development of data infrastructures and marine data management;
- the sharing of marine information with various target groups;
- the acquisition, disclosure and reorganisation of marine scientific information in the library;
- the support of a sustainable and scientifically founded coastal and marine policy.
Subjects for a thesis
Following subjects are offered for a Bachelor and/or Master thesis:
- Master thesis: Long-term trends in relative abundance of larger predator fish species in Belgian sea fisheries
- Master thesis: Long-term trends in relative abundance of pelagic fish species in Belgian sea fisheries
- Master thesis: Long-term trends in relative abundance of commercial species in the Coastal waters, in Belgian sea fisheries
- Master thesis: A century of scientific research on shrimp fisheries along the Belgian Coast
Subjects for an internship
VLIZ offers students following a training course or bachelor/master programme the possibility to perform an internship of one month minimum, amongst others for the following subjects:
- Marine Regions
- Contribution to finalizing the World Register of Marine Species (WoRMS)
- Interim Register of Marine & Nonmarine Genera (IRMNG)
- Historical maps of the coastal zone (HisGISKust)
- Monitoring marine recreational fisheries
- Communicatie en educatie van de zee (Dutch only)
- A century of scientific research on shrimp fisheries along the Belgian Coast
- Feasibility study unmanned offshore vehicle
- JPI Healthy and productive Seas and Oceans
Students from various Flemish teacher training courses are welcome to VLIZ for internships. The subjects and available places are passed on to the responsible persons / databases of the schools. Contact this person / database of your school.
Interested student employees may send a CV, letter of motivation and choice of activities before 10 April 2017 to the email address below.
Interns, students and classes which visit the Flanders Marine Institute (VLIZ) or the Marine Station Ostend (MSO) for multiple days can select and contact accommodation possibilities from this list.
Are you interested in one of the following activities? Would you like to make a specific proposal or receive more information? Then do not hesitate to contact us!
Look at a list of our former trainees and thesis students.