Taxonomic register for marine species
The Aphia taxonomic register contains a list of all known marine species in the world and provides an overview of the accepted taxonomic names. This register is used worldwide as a standard list. It currently serves as a platform for the Belgian, European, arctic and world list of marine species, among others.
Aphia integrates information on:
- species names
- common names
- extra information : literature, biogeographic data, photo, ...
More information on the system, its tools, editorial board and statistics is available on the website.
Some examples of application:
- WoRMS: online worldregister of marine species.
- BeRMS: online Belgian register of marine species.
- ERMS: online European register of marine species.
- ARMS: online Arctic register of marine species.
- IMIS: as taxonomic standard for the information system IMIS.
- LifeWatch: virtual laboratory for marine biodiversity research. Aphia serves as taxonomic backbone for the LifeWatch infrastructure.
Contact: Leen Vandepitte