|Meer:|| Instituten | URL |
Overkoepelend project: Marine Biodiversity and Ecosystem Functioning - EU Network of Excellence, meer
Periode: September 2005 tot December 2008
|| Top | URL |
- UCD: University College Dublin, meer, partner
- Università di Pisa; Dipartimento di Scienze dell 'Uomo e dell 'Ambiente, meer, partner
- Nederlandse Organisatie voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek; Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research; NIOZ Yerseke, meer, partner
- IMEDEA: Universitat de les Illes Balears; Instituto Mediterraneo de Estudios Avanzados, meer, partner
- SERG: University of St Andrews; School of Biology; Gatty Marine Laboratory; Sediment Ecology Research Group, meer, partner
- IOPAN: Polish Academy of Sciences; Institute of Oceanology, meer, partner
- Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar- and Marine Research; Wadden Sea Station Sylt, meer, partner
- AAU: Abo Akademi University; Environmental and Marine Biology, meer, partner
- IOW: Baltic Sea Research Institute, meer, partner
- LZMB: University of Salento; Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Biologiche e Ambientali; National Interuniversity Consortium For Marine Sciences; Laboratory of Zoology and Marine Biology, meer, partner
- RUG: Rijksuniversiteit Groningen; Afdeling Biology; Departement Mariene Biologie; Onderzoeksgroep Mariene Biologie, meer, partner
- CIIMAR: Centre of Marine and Environmental Research; Interdisciplinary Centre for Marine and Environmental Research (Porto), meer, partner
- HCMR: Hellenic Centre for Marine Research, meer, partner
- MBA: Marine Biological Association of the UK, meer, partner
- Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique; Station Biologique de Roscoff; Benthic Ecology Research Group, meer, partner
- BOME: Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle; Département Milieux et Peuplements Aquatiques; Biology of marine organisms and ecosystems, meer, partner
- University of Tartu; Estonian Marine Institute; Department of Marine Biology, meer, partner
- PML: Plymouth Marine Laboratory, meer, partner
- KMRS: The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences; Kristineberg Marine Research Station, meer, partner
- Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar- and Marine Research; Biologische Anstalt Helgoland, meer, partner
|[ kaartje ]
1. Quantify stability at sites of naturally differing degrees of diversity under a range of levels of exposure to natural and anthropogenic disturbance.
2. Discriminate between effects on ecosystem function and stability of numbers of taxa or functional groups and their identities (while controlling for changes in overall density/biomass);
3. Test effects of loss of diversity at one trophic level on the functioning of others;
4. Quantify the main effects and interactions between intensity and temporal variance of disturbance on ecosystem function under different levels of biodiversity
5. Compare outcomes across systems and geographic regions to test the hypotheses that effects of loss of diversity/key species/functional groups vary depending on:
(a) the initial diversity of the system
(b) environmental conditions (salinity, substratum, nutrient levels, etc.)
Description of work
Task 1. Plans for integrated research. This includes the definition of clear, testable hypotheses on biodiversity-stability relationships to be targeted with a combination of analyses based on existing data sets, modeling and new experiments.
Task 2. Analysis of existing data sets. Analyses will be undertaken to investigate biodiversity-stability relationships at different scales in space and time on agreed response variables.
Task 3. Modelling based on available data.
Task 4. Experiments on biodiversity-ecosystem functioning and biodiversity-stability relationships, separating among effects of numbers, identities and abundances of species or morphological groups, including manipulations of diversity at different trophic levels and the separation of effects of intensity and temporal variance of disturbance.
Task 5. Integration of findings. Refinement of models with new empirical data; comparison of experimental results over broad geographic regions.
Task 6. Outreach. Development and maintenance of project website; production of position document for policy-makers and the general public.