Vacature Secretariaat Marine Board - European Science Foundation in Oostende
De Marine Board - ESF heeft een open vacature voor de positie van een 'Executive Scientific Secretary - Head of Unit' van het secreatriaat in Oostende.
The European Science Foundation (ESF) provides a platform for its Member Organisations to advance European research. Established in 1974 as an independent non-governmental organisation, the ESF currently serves 77 Member Organisations, including Research Funding Agencies, Research Performing Organisations and Academies, across 30 countries.
The Marine Board, established in 1995, operates as a strategic Board, providing a forum for approximately 30 research funding and research performing organisations from 20 countries in Europe. Its mission is to enhance dialogue and cooperation, thus identifying common priorities for future marine science and technology investments and activities in the ERA. The Marine Board promotes synergy towards maximising the impact of the investments in marine research at national and EU level.
Mission of the Position
This position involves:
- Develop and implement strategic activities to catalyse and support the research community and Marine Board Member Organisations, through promoting research collaboration in an inter- and multi-disciplinary environment across Europe and beyond;
- Overseeing and contributing to the development of policy and its implementation within the overall Marine Board and ESF Strategies;
- Running the Marine Board Secretariat in supporting the Marine Board’s strategic and policy activities and ensuring the provision, in a timely manner, of advance quality papers, meeting documents, reports and publications;
- Taking responsibility, as the Secretary of the Marine Board Committee, for the mobilisation and motivation of the Marine Board Committee and for the development of strategic activities;
- Producing high level science policy publications, both ab initio and in association with Marine Board experts;
- Ensuring compliance with external contracts through full and timely reporting, liaising, in coordination with ESF Administration and Finance, with external partners as appropriate and drafting proposals for future support;
- Publicising and informing the marine research and policy communities through the production of hard copy publication, web pages, press releases and liaising with the ESF Communications Unit;
- Taking responsibility for the management and achievement of budgets of specific activities;
- Manage the Marine Board Unit team (5 staff members) and contribute to the senior management of the ESF.
Profile and Competences required
The successful jobholder should demonstrate the following competences:
- Specific competences
- Ph.D, or equivalent research experience preferably in marine or environmental sciences, with a further 10 years research/science policy experience in a relevant science area;
- Broad and sound understanding of all the domains of marine science;
- Proven experience of science management, preferably in the European context;
- Proven experience in securing and coordinating external contracts;
- Excellent analytical writing skills, of publication standard, with proven track record of publications;
- Good working knowledge of European and national research structures and institutions and European and international science policy;
- Demonstrated people management skills and experience in a performance-based human resources environment;
- High standard of spoken and written English, with a working knowledge of French or another European language being an advantage;
- Good working knowledge of MS Office systems and of electronic databases and Web sites.
- Inter-personal competences:
- Action-oriented, responsible and autonomous, creative and willing to take initiatives, and continuously improvement-minded;
- Strong inter-personal and excellent communication skills within a multi-national and multi-organisational context, including discretion, loyalty, diplomacy and tolerance;
- Assertive with capability to guide decision-making procedures and to represent Marine Board -ESF in the scientific community;
- Leadership, motivational and staff management and development skills;
- Proven organisational and coordination skills; excellent presentation skills;
- Positive and constructive attitude.
- The full time position is offered for a three year term, with the possibility of a prolongation of two years, preferably starting May 2009,
- The place of work is Ostend (Belgium) and the job will involve some travel.
- The salary level will be based on experience and qualifications of the successful candidate and will follow ESF terms and conditions.
- Please send your application (CV and covering letter) by 12 December 2008 to ESF, Human Resources Unit
1 quai Lezay-Marnésia, BP 90015, F-67080 Strasbourg or to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the following reference identifier MB-HoU
- Interviews will be held in Brussels on 13 January 2009.