Distribution of Sand Dunes in Great Britain
This article includes a distribution map of coastal sand dunes in Great Britain. It lists the more important sites and provides links to further information on them.
It derives from the 'Sand Dune Inventory of Europe' (Doody ed. 1991) . The 1991 inventory was prepared under the umbrella of the European Union for Dune Conservation [EUDC]. The original inventory was presented to the European Coastal Conservation Conference, held in the Netherlands in November 1991. It attempted to provide a description of the sand dune vegetation, sites and conservation issues throughout Europe including Scandinavia, the Atlantic coast and in the Mediterranean.
An overview article on European sand dunes provides links to the other European country reports. These include chapters from updated individual country reports included as part of a revised 'Sand Dune Inventory of Europe' prepared for the International Sand Dune Conference “Changing Perspectives in Coastal Dune Management”, held from the 31st March - 3rd April 2008, in Liverpool, UK (Doody ed. 2008).
See the UK Joint Nature Conservation Committee web site for an overview of the main sites identified as SACs for coastal sand dunes and continental dune habitat .
The sites listed in the table below and shown in the figure are all over 50ha, and considered to be of national importance as examples of coastal sand dune habitat. The code number refers to the description of the Special Area of Conservation (SAC) designated under the European Union Habitats Directive and held on the Joint Nature Conservation Committee Web Site. A link is provided in the list of "Site Name & Links" to the more detailed information.
LIST OF IMPORTANT SAND DUNES
Site name and links
01. North Northumberland Dunes, 
02. Saltfleetby, 
03. Gibraltar Point
04. North Norfolk Coast, 
05. Winterton, 
06. Sandwich & Pegwell Bay, 
07. Studland Heath, 
08. Penhale, 
09. Braunton Burrows, 
10. Sefton Coast, 
11. North Walney & Sandscale, 
12. Drigg Point, 
13. Kenfig, 
15. Whiteford Burrows and 16. Tywyn Gwendraeth 
17. Stackpole Warren
19. Morfa Dyffryn and 20. Morfa Harlech 
21. Newborough Warren and 22. Tywyn Aberffraw 
23. Torrs Warren, 
24. Killinallan (Islay)
24a Oronsay Machair, 
25. Hough Bay & Ballavullin Machair (Tirree), 
26. Crossapol & Gunna Machair (Coll), 
27. South Uist Machair, including 28. Howmore Estuary Machair and 29. Loch Bee Machair 
30. Baleshare & Kirkibost Machair, (North Uist Machair) 
31. Monarch Isles Machair, 
32. Berneray Machair
33. Northton Bay Machair
34. Sandwood Bay, 
35. Faraid Head & Balnakeil Bay, (Durness) 
35a Invernaver, 
36. Dunnet Links
37. Morrich More, 
38. Loch of Strathbeg
39. Sands of Forvie, 
40. St. Cyrus
41. Barry Links, 
42. Tentsmuir & Earshall Muir
ISLE OF MAN
43. Point of Ayre
44. Le Quennevais
- Doody, J.P., ed., 1991. Sand Dune Inventory of Europe. Peterborough, Joint Nature Conservation Committee/European Union for Coastal Conservation.
- Doody, J.P., ed. 2008. Sand Dune Inventory of Europe, 2nd Edition. National Coastal Consultants and EUCC - The Coastal Union, in association with the IGU Coastal Commission.
Please note that others may also have edited the contents of this article.