Marine Biotechnology in Finland
Overarching science strategies, plans and policies
- Finish Biotechnology policy
Research funding schemes and programmes
- SymBio - Industrial Biotechnology: this programme has a budget of €80 million for a five years period (2006-2011) and is funded by the Government (49%), private companies (48%) and research institutes (3%). The aims of the programme are:
- to create competitive industrial processes, new products and services using biotechnology;
- to enhance the environmental friendliness of industrial processes;
- to create new business opportunities in the fields of industrial production and environmental biotechnologies and
- to boost the transfer of research results into technology and new products.
- Both companies and research organisations can take part in the programme.
- BioRefine: €137 million has been allocated to this programme from 2007-2012. It aims to develop innovative technologies, products and services based on national strengths as well as generate necessary new expertise. The programme also looks to develop biorefineries is examining the processing of biomass in general for the international market and is trying to promote the development and use of second-generation production technology in biofuels for transport.
Research priorities for marine biotechnology research
Infrastructures and coordination and support capacities / initiatives
- In 2012 Finland operates 2 local/coastal vessels of 20m and 27,7m (Geomari, Muikku) and 1 oceanic vessel of 59,8 (Aranda) registered at the European Research Vessels Infobase .
- Key aquaculture experimental and research facilities in Finland include:
- Experimental seacages and fish rearing facilities (FGFRI)
- The university of Helsinki is coordinating the European FP7 Project MAREX (Exploring Marine Resources for Bioactive Compounds: From Discovery to Sustainable Production and Industrial Applications) which runs from 2010-2014.
- ↑ http://www.mkm.ee/failid/Research_on_the_Estonian_Biotechnology_Sector_Innovation_System___2002.pdf
- ↑ http://akseli.tekes.fi/opencms/opencms/OhjelmaPortaali/ohjelmat/SymBio/en/etusivu.html
- ↑ http://akseli.tekes.fi/opencms/opencms/OhjelmaPortaali/ohjelmat/BioRefine/en/etusivu.html
- ↑ http://www.eurocean.org
- ↑ http://www.marex.fi/
This draft country profile is based on available online information sources and contributions from various country experts and stakeholders. It does not aim nor claim to be complete or final, but should be considered as a dynamic and living information resource that will be elaborated, updated and improved as more information becomes available, including further inputs from experts and stakeholders.