Uit Kust Wiki
A submerged shore parallel embankment of sand or gravel built in the breaker zone due to the action of breaking waves and cross-currents.
Definition of Bar - Further notes
- There can be several rows of bars.
- Bars are very mobile formations, which tend to be in mobile equilibrium with the presently occurring wave and tide conditions, which means that they are constantly changing.
- The overall tendency is that the bars are moving seawards during storm wave conditions and landwards during conditions dominated by smaller waves and swell.
- At intervals there are gaps in the bars formed by the rip currents.
- ↑ Mangor, Karsten. 2004. “Shoreline Management Guidelines”. DHI Water and Environment, 294pp.