Best Available Technologies (BAT)
The term best available techniques (BAT) means the latest stage of development (state of the art) of processes, of facilities or of methods of operation which indicate the practical suitability of a particular measure for limiting discharges, emissions and waste. In determining whether a set of processes, facilities and methods of operation constitute the best available techniques in general or individual cases, special consideration shall be given to:
- comparable processes, facilities or methods of operation which have recently been successfully tried out;
- technological advances and changes in scientific knowledge and understanding;
- the economic feasibility of such techniques;
- time limits for installation in both new and existing plants;
- the nature and volume of the discharges and emissions concerned.