ECONET-COHAST project (INTERREG IIIB project) - Activities in ARCHIMED area
Recent European legislation (PEBDLS, European Landscape Convention) recognizes the significance of landscape structure in determining biodiversity and achieving sustainable development. Coastal habitats in the Mediterranean are of high ecological value but also among the most susceptible to threat. Conservation effectiveness within designated Natura 2000 coastal sites is influenced by landscape processes, which are not dealt with in a harmonized manner by current conservation efforts in ARCHIMED countries. The project addresses the need to establish an ecological network for the promotion of best practices to assess landscape scale processes and deliver guidelines for coastal habitat management in the long term. Within a 19 month period the consortium will integrate its expertise binding ARCHIMED coastal habitats management efforts according to the following scheme:
- Organization of an enlarged ecological network by addressing to experts and local stakeholders throughout ARCHIMED, exchange experience and expertise, and assess the status in the region.
- Case studies employed by each partner to evaluate the state of specific targeted coastal habitats within designated sites, identify critical landscape processes and indicators of change, and develop a Decision Support Framework for coastal habitat management.
- Formulation of the conclusions of the current situation assessment and the case studies into specifications and guidelines (common strategy development) that address both differences and common points in theories and practices, and distribution to regional and local authorities in order to support policy implementation for Natura 2000 coastal habitats management.
- The knowledge acquired in workshops, meetings and case studies will be structured into a training package on best practices for harmonized coastal habitat management, targeting researchers and practitioners across ARCHIMED and third countries of the region.
- Dissemination through technical reports, scientific publications, workshops, portal service for the project and post-project period that will continuously provide information to stakeholders and the public. Regional competent actors will support the dissemination process.