Marine Biotechnology in Bulgaria
Overarching science strategies, plans and policies
There are no specific Marine Biotechnology strategies, plans or policies in Bulgaria. Bulgarian Science & Technology Policy for the period 2009–2019 is described in the National Strategy for Scientific Research.
- National Strategy for Scientific Research Ministry of Education, Youth and Science
Research funding schemes and programmes
Funding for scientific research is provided by the National Science Fund . For the financial year 2012-2013 there was one competition for research programmes in the thematic priorities with a total annual budget for all thematic priorities of about 11 million euro. Most of the thematic priorities may contain marine biotechnology research elements inlcuding:
- Energy; energy efficiency and transport
- Development of ec-technologies and innovations
- New materials and nano-technology
- Health; quality of life and biotechnologies
National Research Funding Programmes which have a significant marine research element include:
- Development of Scientific Potential managed by the National Science Fund 
Research priorities for marine biotechnology research
Infrastructures and coordination and support capacities / initiatives
- In 2012, Bulgaria operates 1 local/coastal vessel of 34 m (Professor A. Valkanov) and 1 oceanic vessel of 55,5 (Akademic) registered at the European Research Vessels Infobase .
- In 2012, Bulgaria maintains about 4 large marine research equipments registered in the European large Exchangeable instruments database .
- The National Roadmap provides strategic and effective development of science and innovation, and serves as basis for negotiations with international and European partners for future investments in national infrastructure facilities selected to be part of the pan-European infrastructure networks.
- On 21 September 2010, the Bulgarian Council of Ministers adopted the National Roadmap for Research Infrastructures which was elaborated by the Bulgarian Ministry of Education, Youth and Science. This readmap contains provisions in support of both biotechnology and marine research .
- ↑ http://www.mon.bg/opencms/export/sites/mon/en/top_menu/science/national_research_strategy-2020.pdf
- ↑ http://www.bulfund.com
- ↑ http://www.nsfb.net)
- ↑ 4,0 4,1 http://www.eurocean.org
- ↑ http://www.nrri-bg.com
This draft country profile is based on available online information sources and contributions from various country experts and stakeholders. It does not aim nor claim to be complete or final, but should be considered as a dynamic and living information resource that will be elaborated, updated and improved as more information becomes available, including further inputs from experts and stakeholders.
The information on this page is based on information initially compiled by the European Marine Board as part of the CSA MarineBiotech Project activities (2011-2013).