Uit Kust Wiki
Some of the impacts of mercury have been studied and proven on wild life:
- Inhibition of the growth of algae, bacterias and fungi (in the past, mercurochrome was made of mercury for its biocide properties now the use of mercury has been forbidden because of its toxicity);
- Increase of the embryo-larval mortality (which has been estimated on amphibians)
- Decrease of the probability of reproduction and inhibition of laying for some species (for instance the zebra fish);
- Inhibition of spermatogenese;
- Inhibition of the growth of the rainbow trout, with a high mortality rate of embryos and larvas.