Welcome to the website of the 22nd International Diatom Symposium. IDS 2012 will be hosted in Ghent (Belgium) by the Protistology & Aquatic Ecology lab of Ghent University and the National Botanic Garden of Belgium, on behalf of the International Society for Diatom Research.
Diatoms are hugely important primary producers in the world’s oceans, lakes and rivers. How they have risen to such prominence in aquatic ecosystems, and why they are so diverse, still remains a mystery. It is our strong belief that significant progress in our understanding of the diversity, evolution and ecology of diatoms can only result from a crossover approach between the various fields of diatom research. We therefore aspire to making IDS 2012 a truly interdisciplinary meeting, covering a wide range of topics ranging from ecology and taxonomy to physiology and molecular biology. By bringing together diatom researchers from various backgrounds, we hope to stimulate discussion, exchange of ideas and networking.
IDS 2012 Update Aug 22nd 2012
For on the spot updates and content follow us on Twitter: @IDS_2012_Ghent
We also have a facebook page where pictures and other media of the conference can be loaded: http://t.co/o89LS7hi
IDS 2012 Update Aug 17th 2012
- The final program of oral and poster presentations can now be found here.
- Instructions on how to get to the Symposium venue can be found here.
- A map with restaurants, bars, sights and other locations of interest in Ghent can be found here.
- For oral presentations: please note that all presentations should be compatible with Powerpoint 2007.
IDS 2012 Update July 31st 2012
- Abstract acceptance: unless you have been personally notified by now, your abstract(s) was accepted as requested (i.e. oral or poster). A pdf file of the complete abstract book is available here. Late abstracts will be included in the program book.
- We would very much like to thank our sponsors for their generous support, many of whom will have exhibitions at the conference. Please note that Koeltz Scientific books announces that they will be selling diatom books at reduced conference prices.
- Final programme will soon be available here.
IDS 2012 Update May 30th 2012
- Preliminary programme now available – see programme page
IDS 2012 Update May 22nd 2012
- Updated sessions list with session chairs – see programme page.
- Info on banquet – don’t miss it!
IDS 2012 Update April 25th 2012
- New and final deadlines !
Early bird registration deadline: June 1st 2012
Abstract submission deadline: June 1st 2012
- The grant application deadline remains May 1st 2012.
- For registration, please proceed to the registration page.
IDS 2012 Update Feb 15th 2012
February 15th Registration open
June 1st (12 pm) Early Bird registration ends
June 1st Abstract submission deadline
August 1st Late Registration ends
Koen Sabbe, Wim Vyverman, Bart Van de Vijver, Annick Verween, Koenraad Muylaert, Annick Wilmotte, Jean-Pierre Descy, Katerina Kopalová, Rebecca van der Wiele, Pieter Vanormelingen, Caroline Souffreau
Koen Sabbe, Wim Vyverman, Bart Van de Vijver, Annick Verween, Koenraad Muylaert, Marie Huysman (Belgium), Peter Kroth, Regine Jahn (Germany), Eileen Cox (UK), Angela Wulff (Sweden), Frederic Rimet (France), Shigeki Mayama (Japan), Sarah Spaulding (USA)