The General Assembly consists of the effective or voting members of VLIZ, who control the institution’s policy through this highest ruling organ. The General Assembly is convened at least once a year and presided by the chairman of the Board of Directors.
The General Assembly of VLIZ at the meeting of 22 April 2014 in Bruges
The competences of the General Assembly as well as information on the meetings and voting procedure can be found in the VLIZ Good Governance Charter.
The General Assembly is currently composed as follows:
- Carl Decaluwé, governor of West Flanders, is the chairman.
- The ten voting members appointed by the Flemish government are:
- Patric Jacobs, Ghent University
- Willy Baeyens, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
- Jean Berlamont, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
- Ernest Schockaert, Hasselt University
- René Van Grieken, University of Antwerp
- Magda Vincx, Ghent University
- Philip Van Avermaet, Department of Economy, Science and Innovation
- Ulrike Vanhessche, Coast Guard secretariat (MDK)
- Ilse Hoet, Port and Water Policy division (MOW)
- Jan Strubbe, honorary director-general of the Waterways and Marine Affairs Administration
- The four voting members appointed by the province of West Flanders are:
- The member appointed by the Research Foundation – Flanders (FWO) is:
- Hans Willems, secretary general of the Research Foundation – Flanders
- The members of the Board of Directors of VLIZ have the right to attend the General Assembly with an advisory vote.
Sympathising members have the right to participate in the discussions of the General Assembly.