The newly established Marine Bio-Technologies Center of Innovation (MBCOI) will explore opportunities to develop new food, fuel, health, and other products from North Carolina’s rich Atlantic coast.
Considerable untapped potential exists in North Carolina for harvesting human, environmental, and economic benefits from successful development and commercialization of Marine Bio-Technology opportunities.
Among other things, the MBCOI’s vision is to:
- Serve as the focal point for the commercialization of Marine Bio-Technologies in North Carolina;
- Engage public and private organizations in educational, scientific, and charitable purposes to accelerate the development and commercialization of Marine Bio-Technologies; and
- Bring together marine-based research, services, and innovation to meet the needs of the MBCOI’s customers and partners domestically and internationally.
The MBCOI’s mission is to establish itself as a global presence, and the “go to” center, for information, collaboration, and commercialization of Marine Bio-Technologies, to stimulate North Carolina’s economy.
In order to achieve its mission, the MBCOI has identified the following goals as critical to success:
- ORGANIZATION: Establish infrastructure (Board of Directors, Staff, Advisors) to support its mission;
- RESOURCES: Create a Marine Assets Inventory of Intellectual Capital (researchers, companies) and Intellectual Property (know-how, trade secrets, invention disclosures, patents) that most closely match industry needs;
- REVENUE: Become a self-sustaining entity through Grants/Contracts, Technology Commercialization Services (TCS), and creation of a Translational Marine Bio-Technologies Collective (TMBC).