Avenida Dom Carlos I, 126-2°
Tel.: +351-(0)21-392 44 95
Fax: +351-(0)21-392 44 95
|The creation of a European Centre for Information on Marine Science and Technology had the objective of implementing the recommendations of the report “Towards a new marine dimension for Europe through research and technological development” adopted on 4th May 2000 by a group of governmental experts from 15 European countries brought together at the invitation of the Portuguese Minister for Science and Technology. This report, which was presented to the European Council for Research on 15th June 2000, recognised “the benefit of a focal point for information on marine science and technology”.
Portugal’s Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) and Ifremer (French Research Institute for the Exploitation of the Sea) decided to implement the recommendations of the above-mentioned report and signed a cooperation agreement to set up a centre for information on marine science and technology, namely EurOcean, of which the creation was officialized on 28 February 2002.
The main objectives of EurOcean are to: i) facilitate the access to information; ii) promote the development of indicators on marine science and technology, environment, and socio-economics; iii) encourage cooperation between the existing European organisations; iv) contribute to the preparation of syntheses. The implementation of these objectives is designed in collaboration with all interested relevant partners in order to avoid any duplication and to maximize benefits. Special attention is given to the end-users in order to ensure the efficiency and the usefulness of the activities developed by EurOcean.
The main activity of EurOcean is presently to develop electronic tools and information useful for all actors with interest in marine science and technology in Europe. Priority is being given to the inventory of the marine research infrastructures in Europe, to the inventory of European funded projects in marine RDT and activities of Public Outreach.
- Belgium _ Flanders Marine Institute
- France _ Ifremer – French Research Institute for the Exploitation of the Sea | Nausicaa – Centre National de la Mer | TBI - Technopôle Brest-Iroise
- Ireland _ MI – Marine Institute
- Malta _ MCST – Malta Council for Science and Technology
- Norway _IMR – Institute for Marine Research
- Poland _ IOPAS - Institute of Oceanology of the Polish Academy of Sciences
- Portugal _ FCT - Foundation for Science and Technology | FRCT - Azores Regional Fund of Science and Technology
- Romania _ GEOECOMAR - National Institute of Marine Geology and Geo-ecology
- Spain _ IEO – Spanish Institute of Oceanology
|| Top |
- EUROFLEETS 2: New operational Steps Towards an alliance of European research fleets, more
- EUROFLEETS: Towards an alliance of European research fleets, more
- SFS: Sea for Society, more