|Improvement and innovation of aquaculture effluent treatment technology|
|| Institutes |
Period: 2004 till 2007
|| Top |
- University of Salento; Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Biologiche e Ambientali (DiSTeBA), more, co-ordinator
- The Federation of European Aquaculture Producers (FEAP), more, partner
|The core objective of this project, AquaEtreat, is to develop and provide effective effluent water and waste treatment options, which are economically viable, for professional European aquaculture. This is a sector that is composed predominantly of SMEs in rural and coastal areas and where the security of employment depends on many different aspects of sectoral sustainability.
This objective will be pursued by developing and implementing cost-effective systems for the treatment of aquaculture farm effluent and the valorisation and reuse of the products and by-products. The systems will be designed according to defined parameters and installed in 3 different aquaculture entities. Their efficiency to prevent aquatic will be verified by the characterisation of water and waste and also of the recipient ecosystem. Finally, the system output products and by-products will be fully characterised, defined and their possible re-use exploited.
The research will be approached through a series of interdisciplinary and interconnected work packages that contribute to the investigation of the different multi-dsciplinary aspects of the project's subject (technological, biological, physiological, ecological, environmental and economic).
Within the project's activities, a pivotal position is occupied by a specific training programme for SME managers, technicians and young researchers; this is to be accompanied by a capillary plan for the transfer of innovative skills and technology to European farmers.
Systems and strategies will be developed to meet the following objectives:
- To achieve technological and knowledge-based results that address a common problem within the sector
- To strengthen the technological base of the European aquaculture sector;
- To develop new applications and skills that address and respond to the requirements for the sustainable development of the European aquaculture sector.