IMIS | Flanders Marine Institute
 

Flanders Marine Institute

Platform for marine research

IMIS

Publications | Institutes | Persons | Datasets | Projects | Maps
[ report an error in this record ]basket (0): add | show Print this page

Evaluating the effect of an artificial habitat on the improvement of the Bulgarian Black Sea biodiversity
Simeonova, A.; Nikov, N.; Zhekova, T.; Petrova, D.; Gerdzhikov, D. (2017). Evaluating the effect of an artificial habitat on the improvement of the Bulgarian Black Sea biodiversity. International Journal of Current Research 9(8): 55412-55420
In: International Journal of Current Research. ISSN 0975-833X, more
Peer reviewed article  

Available in  Authors 

Keywords
    Biodiversity
    Mytilus galloprovincialis Lamarck, 1819 [WoRMS]
Author keywords
    Artificial habitat; Phytoplankton taxonomy; Shannon-Weaver index; Black Sea, Bulgaria

Authors  Top 
  • Simeonova, A.
  • Nikov, N.
  • Zhekova, T.
  • Petrova, D.
  • Gerdzhikov, D.

Abstract
    In the present study the effect of an artificial habitat construction on the biodiversity of the coastal waters of the “Vromos” Bay, Bulgarian Black Sea was investigated for the period 2011- 2012. Several environmental factors such as water temperature, salinity, pH, dissolved oxygen, nutritional conditions, phytoplankton taxa were observed. The fouling of the habitat by macrozoobenthos, esspecially mussels was reported. Individual counts and dimensions (mm) of mussels, shell length and asymmetry, intermediate size of the shell (mm), etc. were presented. Dominants of Dinophyceae - 36.96 % and Bacillariophyceae - 23.91% with total of 60.87% of the phytoplankton taxonomic composition were recorded as well as blooms of small flagellates from class Cryptophyceae with higher levels at the bottom horizon -1881.89 x106 cells/m3; 212.84 mg/m3; 83,85 % (numbers) and 58.28 % (biomass). Prevailing species of Mytilus galloprovincialis with 64 mm maximum shell size and considerable number of 20-30- 40 mm sized mussels were registered on the surface of the artificial habitat.

All data in the Integrated Marine Information System (IMIS) is subject to the VLIZ privacy policy Top | Authors